Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"It's my birthday; I'm forty-one today!"

I promise, this will be the last time I offer such a long-winded complaint on the subject, but how about that New York City clubscene, huh? I won't lie and say that i'm some sort of old-timer or original, but come on. When i was going to Vinyl every week, at least I'd meet some original people who were there for the music (OK, well, some went for the drugs, but, i mean, it was a juice bar. can you blame them?). Nowadays, it seems as if there's only two types of people you run into.

  1. Button-Down Crowd: These are the people you run into more often than not, especially during peak-hours. They, obviously, are wearing cheap button-down shirts and cheaper jeans, and can be found at tables with bottle service, hitting on every girl in the joint.
  2. Super-Kewl-Club-Kids: The same topless, tanned, bandana'ed fools who hog circles, doing the same step over and over again. Usually tweaking, found mostly during after-hours.
I can't really knock any of these people, but what's so strange about trying to be original? I mean, I know my history: the scene was founded by people who didn't fit in anywhere else, ecclectic people who took pride in being different. Nowadays, it's carbon copies everywhere, all of them in discount Paper, Denim, and Cloth. It's slightly heartbreaking. I wonder if anyone is even listening to the music anymore.

Anyway, here's the cute little video that spawned this rant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO TO BED FOOL. these blogs are all at OBSCENE hours of the morningggg.